Is anyone else feeling totally stuffy-headed? Between the shifting weather and all around bustle that autumn brings, it’s easy to feel run-down. And yeah, sure I want cappuccinos and roasted butternut squash and stews– but I also want to eat things that are refreshing and keep me feeling energized. I love a good stir-fry because it’s warm and nourishing yet still light. This one is verdant and a little fruity thanks to the apricot spread, with lots of garlic and ginger to help keep immune systems strong and heads clear.
For the tofu:
½ tbsp coconut (or other) oil
1 tsp nutritional yeast
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 package firm or extra firm tofu
1½ tsp tamari
For the rest:
heaped ½ tbsp coconut (or other) oil
heaped 1 tbsp minced ginger
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 smallish bell pepper, cut into ¼” thick strips
2 cups green beans, trimmed of ends
2-3 smallish summer squash, cut into ¼” thick half-moons
1½ tbsp tamari, divided
2 tbsp apricot (or peach) fruit spread/not too sweet jam, divided
¼ cup water
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
Rice for serving, optional
- Pat tofu with a couple paper towels. Cut into 1” cubes, then pat again to soak up extra moisture.
- Mix nutritional yeast and garlic powder in a small dish.
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a large wok or skillet over medium high heat. Add tofu cubes, sprinkle with nutritional yeast-garlic powder mixture, and stir gently to distribute seasonings. Then let cook– without touching, so it can crisp up– for about 5 minutes. Turn down the heat (just for your own safety), carefully flip over the tofu, and splash with 1½ tsp of tamari. Turn heat back up, and cook (without touching) for a few minutes more. Turn off burner and transfer tofu to another dish. Let the pan cool a little bit, then give it a gentle wipe with a paper towel to remove any blackened bits.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the pan over medium heat, and add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Stir in bell pepper, green beans, 1 tbsp tamari, and 1 tbsp fruit spread. Add ¼ cup of water, cover, turn the heat up a bit, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid, add squash and another 1 tbsp fruit spread and ½ tbsp tamari. Cook for about another minute.
- Stir in the tofu and cook one more minute, then turn off the heat and drizzle in the sesame oil. Let sit for a few minutes for best flavor, and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve.
Yield: About 4 servings